These Terms of Business apply when you make bookings for accommodation with us by telephone, email, in person or on our website, whether as a private individual guest or as a corporate (business) guest.
We may amend these Terms of Business at any time so you should ensure you re-read them for each new booking.
This booking is made between you and the Old Gaol Serviced Apartments (Abingdon) Limited (company number 08638771) (us, we, Old Gaol).
Private guests: If you are booking with us as a private individual, any business-specific terms and conditions set out below will not apply to your booking.
Corporate guests: If you are booking with us in the course of business (for example, in respect of accommodation for employees or secondees), our contract will be with the business. It shall be booked in the name of the business or, if under an individual’s name, on behalf of the business. It is your responsibility to ensure that only authorised individuals contract with us on behalf of the organisation and we may take instructions from the individual making the booking and from anyone else who is, or reasonably appears to be, acting on the business’s behalf. The business shall be liable for the guests under the booking and for the guests’ visitors.
You confirm that you are not entering into this booking on behalf of any third party.
Making a booking
Minimum stay: we usually operate a policy of 3 night minimum stays. In off-peak periods we may consider shorter stays.
Booking process and confirmation
- You may request a booking through our website, by telephone or email or in person.
- You will have the opportunity to read and accept these Terms of Business prior to paying any sums required to confirm your booking.
- Provided we can accommodate your requested booking, you must provide payment as summarised in the table below in order to confirm it. We also require provision of valid credit or debit card details to cover a security deposit, any concierge charges and/or cancellation charges (discussed below).
||Date of reservation
||Payment required for a confirmed booking
|Private individuals and Corporate guests not holding a Corporate Account
||More than 14 days before the arrival date
||Cleared 10% deposit payment
|Within 14 days or fewer of the arrival date
||Cleared full payment
|Corporate guests holding a Corporate Account
||No advance payment, provided you are operating your Corporate Account within its agreed credit limit and conditions
- Your booking will be confirmed and your apartment reserved only when you have accepted our Terms of Business (as below) and we have received the necessary payment from you (as above) in cleared funds. Prior to this point we may suspend or cancel your booking request.
Accepting our Terms of Business
- For bookings made via our website, you must signify your acceptance to these Terms of Business via the hyperlink and tick-box provided. We may also request additional written acceptance for our records.
- For bookings made via telephone, email or in person, we will provide these Terms of Business with our confirmation email. We request that you provide written acceptance of the Terms of Business by post or email within 7 days or by return email should your reservation fall within 14 days or fewer of the arrival date as outlined above.
Minimum age for bookings: the minimum age for paying private guests staying is 25. You must bring proof of age and identification to the Old Gaol as we may request sight of these at check-in. If you do not supply this information, we reserve the right to cancel your booking. No minimum age applies for business (corporate) stays.
Group bookings: a booking of 3+ apartments for the same or similar dates constitutes a group booking.
Right to refuse: we reserve the right to refuse any booking request.
Apartment rates, deposits and payment
Included in the apartment rate: please see our website www.oldgaol.co.uk for a comprehensive facilities specification for our apartments and an explanation of the included utilities and services (certain services are charged separately).
Long stay discounts: our apartment rates are quoted on a weekly basis and adjusted pro rata for shorter stays. Discounts apply to stays over 7 nights and over 28 nights.
Rate levels: rates may fluctuate. The rates we quote to you will be the rates prevailing at the time of booking. Changes to your booking may incur additional rates at other levels.
Paying for your apartment(s)
The below terms will apply unless you are a Corporate Account holder (please see below), in which case we may agree different arrangements.
- A deposit of 10% of the apartment cost is required to secure your booking.
- The balance of the apartment cost is required 2 weeks prior to the arrival date.
- Bookings made within 2 weeks of the arrival date require payment in full.
Booking process and confirmation is explained in section 2 above.
Security deposit: we retain the right to take a security deposit of up to £500 per apartment. The deposit is intended to cover such things as damage to the apartment, breakages or additional cleaning. Funds will not be debited unless necessary.
You will be provided with an inventory on arrival which you must check against the condition and contents of your apartment. If you believe there are inconsistencies you should raise these with us immediately and in any event before your departure. If none are raised you will be deemed to agree to the inventory. Your apartment will be inspected against this inventory following your departure or, for longer stays, at reasonable intervals. You will be notified, with a breakdown of charges, if we intend to make a deduction from the deposit. Notification and deduction will be made within 7 days of your departure.
Concierge and other services: any concierge services incurring an additional cost which are requested at the time of booking your apartment will be payable at the same time that you pay your apartment balance. Services requested after this point will be payable at the point of request. Where concierge or other services are requested on arrival or during a stay, payment shall be taken before your departure by charging your credit or debit card details provided.
Corporate Accounts: please contact us if you would like to arrange a Corporate Account. Corporate Accounts are available for businesses which can commit to a minimum of 100 booked nights per 12 months. The credit level and any other conditions attached must be agreed and confirmed by us in writing. We will search relevant credit records prior to agreeing any Corporate Account, and we reserve the right to refuse or suspend Corporate Account facilities at any time. Invoices sent to you under a Corporate Account must be paid within 30 days.
Accepted payment methods
- Bank transfer (clearly identifying the individual or business making the booking) to the bank account details provided.
Sort Code: 40-51-62
Bank Account: 11838968
- Credit or debit cards (credit card payments attract a transaction fee of 3% + VAT; this fee is equally applicable to any security deposit payments taken up to £500).
- Corporate Account (discussed above).
We do not accept payment by cash or cheque in any circumstances.
Interest rate: any late payments will incur interest at a rate of 4% above the base rate of the Bank of England accruing daily from the due date until the date of payment.
VAT: all our rates include VAT at the prevailing rate except where stated otherwise.
Disputes about payments: if a party disputes or queries a payment, that party must notify the other of its dispute or query as soon as reasonably practicable (and in the case of an invoiced payment within 14 days of the date of invoice). Both parties shall then endeavour to resolve the dispute within 14 days of such notification. A dispute about part of a payment shall in no circumstances relieve the paying party of its obligation to pay the undisputed portion, and payment for the undisputed portion must be received within the usual time limit.
Please refer to our website for a comprehensive list of the concierge and other services we provide. These are divided into services included within our apartment rates and those incurring additional charges. Payment for services incurring additional charges is discussed in section 3 above.
Appearance and condition of apartments
The specifications and photographs set out on our website are intended to be general representations of our apartments. The size, style, layout, fixtures and furnishings of individual apartments may vary from the specifications and photographs.
Changes and cancellations by you
Making a request to cancel or change: requests must be made in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we can accommodate your request, we will confirm by return email. An administrative fee of £25 + VAT will be charged for any change, excepting changes which add value to your booking (for example, extensions and upgrades). This fee is in addition to any non-refundable payments already incurred and any new rates and charges incurred as a result of the change.
Cancellations: if you wish to cancel a stay or extended stay in full or part, you must notify us by the deadlines below in order to receive a refund of your deposit (and balance payment, if paid). Your cancellation is not confirmed until we have sent confirmation to you by email.
Non-arrivals and un-notified early departures will be treated in the same way as cancellation notifications given outside the deadlines.
Cancellations, non-arrivals and un-notified early departures will therefore incur cancellation charges in accordance with the following table:
|Number of nights cancelled per booking
||Days’ advance notice required (before noon on the first cancelled day)
||Charges for cancellations outside the advance notice period
||Full cost of cancelled accommodation at the rate booked
||7 nights’ accommodation at the rate booked
||7 nights’ accommodation at the rate booked
|Any group booking
||Full cost of cancelled accommodation at the rate booked, up to a maximum of 7 nights
Each amendment to a booking will be £25.00 + VAT (except to extend a stay)
|Locksmith required to change locks
||From £150.00 + VAT
|Loss of Entrance Key to Apartment
||£50.00 + VAT (per key).
|Loss of Fob for Underground Carpark
||£80.00 + VAT
|Loss of Access Control Fob for Pedestrian Gates
||£10.00 + VAT
If cancellation charges are due, these will be deducted from payments already made or debited via credit or debit card details provided or invoiced. Transaction fees are not refundable.
Extending your stay and late notice changes: we may, in our discretion and subject to availability, be able to accommodate extended stays and other changes at late notice. If agreed, they will be priced at prevailing rates but may incur increased administration charges due to the late nature of the request, so please discuss with us as soon as possible. We will require immediate payment to secure any extensions or late notice changes.
If we cannot accommodate you: we may, in our discretion, be able to offer assistance in finding alternative accommodation in the local area but we shall have no obligation to do so.
Our right to make changes: we may make changes to the apartments and services provided under your booking where reasonably necessary and only to the extent that such changes would not materially and adversely affect your stay.
If we have to make a change with material and adverse effects, we will notify you and you will have 24 hours to confirm whether you wish to proceed with the changed booking, or cancel and receive a refund.
Arrival and departure
Check-in: you must check in between 2 p.m. and 5.30p.m. on the day of arrival; please telephone to provide us with at least 2 hours’ notice of your expected arrival time so that our representative can meet and greet you. If you require a self-check-in after 5.30p.m., this must be agreed and arranged with us in advance as our reception is only manned until 5.30p.m.
Check-out: you must check out by 10 a.m. on the day of departure.
Earlier or later check-ins and check-outs: arrivals between 12 noon and 2p.m. and departures between 10a.m. and 12 noon may be requested but cannot be guaranteed, and will incur an additional charge. You should make your request at least 24 hours in advance.
If you do not vacate your apartment by the applicable check-out time you may be subject to a charge equivalent to an additional night’s stay at the prevailing apartment rate.
Parking: one parking space per apartment is provided in our secure, on-site underground car park. Fobs and access code are provided at check-in.
Keys, fobs and remotes: if you lose or damage the keys, fobs or remotes provided you shall be charged the cost of any necessary repair or replacement, plus an administration fee (please see our FAQs for up to date cost estimates). You may also be charged call-out costs if a member of staff has to attend the premises to give you access.
Luggage storage: storage for your luggage may be available but is not guaranteed. Please advise as soon as possible if you require this.
Maintenance and assistance
Maintenance and assistance is available subject to the nature of the call out. These services may be free or may incur additional charges, depending on the nature and timing of the request. Please see the details provided on our website.
The maximum guest occupancy of any one apartment is limited to the number the bed(s) properly accommodate. One bedroom apartments shall be occupied by a maximum of 2 people, two bedroom apartments by a maximum of 4 people, and so on.
Travel cots can be accommodated for infants up to 2 years old.
No rights of tenancy
Any and all rights of tenancy are excluded from your booking with us. We have the right to access the apartments at all times and for any purpose.
We will attempt to notify guests of lost property and hold it for up to 28 days. You must collect your lost property or provide us with postage and packaging costs in advance of us returning it to you. Unclaimed lost property will be disposed of.
You must comply with, and ensure all your party and any visitors comply with, the expectations set out below:
- Conduct and behaviour: you must comply with any rules and regulations notified to you by us, including all safety procedures. You must not cause any annoyance, inconvenience, disturbance, danger, damage, obstruction, nuisance or personal injury anywhere on or near the Old Gaol premises. Other guests, visitors and staff must be treated with respect. The accommodation and other areas must not be used for any illegal or unauthorised purpose.
- Damage, loss and breakages: we provide you with an inventory recording the condition of your apartment and its contents, which it is your responsibility to check. Queries with the inventory must be raised with us immediately. You are expected to leave the apartment and its contents in the condition set out in the inventory. Please see also “Security deposit” under section 3.
- Smoking: All apartments and communal areas are strictly no smoking.
- Security: keys will be allocated to each adult guest. You are responsible for keeping your apartment fully secure at all times and for keeping your keys, fobs and remotes safe and returning them to reception staff at the end of your stay.
- Cleanliness: waste should be stored in the bins provided and removed from the apartment regularly to the bin storage areas throughout the development in accordance with health and safety expectations. You must keep the apartment clear and clean, including washing up.
- Utilities, TV and technology: you must not make any unreasonable, irresponsible or unlawful use of the utilities, electrical appliances or other technology provided at the Old Gaol, including but not limited to the telephone, TV and broadband internet.
- Fire safety: you must not tamper with any fire detection systems or firefighting equipment located anywhere on the Old Gaol premises, and must ensure fire exits are unobstructed.
- Animals: no pets or other animals are permitted on the Old Gaol premises.
- Communal areas: the expectations above shall apply, where relevant, to all communal areas of the Old Gaol which you use.
Failure to comply with any of the above obligations constitutes a breach of our Terms of Business and we may be entitled to enforce certain rights, depending on the nature of the breach, under section 13 below.
Breach of these Terms of Business
If any of these Terms of Business are breached by you, we reserve our rights, depending on the nature and circumstances of the breach, to:
- Make additional charges to you and/or make deductions from your security deposit (e.g. for breakages, specialist cleaning, excessive utility costs);
- Cancel your booking without refund and refuse future bookings by you or any of the guests or guests’ visitors;
- Demand that you or your guests leave the Old Gaol premises immediately;
- Cancel any Corporate Account you have in place and demand immediate repayment of outstanding credit, which you shall be obliged to pay;
- Claim any further losses which we are entitled to claim from you; and/or
- Involve the police if necessary.
These rights are without prejudice to any other rights and remedies which may be available to us, and we reserve our legal rights in relation to any breach of contract by you.
Cancellation by the Old Gaol
We may cancel your booking by written notice (to include email) in the following situations:
For your breach of contract: if you fail to pay us when required or otherwise materially breach your contract with us. This may result in charges to you depending on the circumstances of cancellation.
For events beyond our control: if the Old Gaol premises become inoperable due to reasons beyond our control. In such circumstances we will refund any booking payments already made by you and cancel any obligation to pay.
In the interests of our business: if we reasonably believe that progressing with your booking may prejudice the reputation of the Old Gaol, or if we have reasonable cause to believe that you may be unable to pay us. In such circumstances we will refund any payments already made by you and cancel any further obligation to pay.
Cancellation may be exercised by us without prejudice to any other rights and remedies which may be available to us, and we reserve our legal rights in relation to any breach of contract by you.
Our liability to you
Death, personal injury, fraud: nothing in our Terms of Business shall limit or exclude our liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence, or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors; or for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
No liability for your negligence: we do not accept any liability for losses caused by your own negligence (e.g. leaving your apartment unlocked or accidental damage to your own goods).
No liability for indirect and consequential losses:
- Private guests: we do not accept liability for any of your losses that may reasonably be foreseen to arise as a probable result of the breach, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty or otherwise (including business losses, loss of profit, and any other losses that may reasonably be foreseen to arise, as a probable result of the breach, arising under or in connection with your contract with us).
- Corporate guests: we do not accept liability for any of your indirect and consequential losses, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty or otherwise (including business losses, loss of profit, and any other indirect or consequential loss arising under or in connection with your contract with us).
No liability for incorrect information: it is your responsibility to check the details of your booking confirmation and any invoices. We do not accept liability for any failure or non-performance by us (including cancellation of your booking) which arises from the provision of incorrect information by you.
No liability for reasons beyond or control: we do not accept liability for any failure or non-performance by us which arises from reasons beyond our control (including but not limited to strikes, lock-outs or other industrial disputes, failure of a utility service or transport network, act of God, war, riot, civil commotion, malicious damage, compliance with any law or governmental order, rule, regulation or direction, accident, breakdown of plant or machinery, fire, flood, storm or default of suppliers or subcontractors), except in accordance with section 14 where we have to cancel your booking due to the Old Gaol premises becoming inoperable.
No liability for vehicles: all vehicles are parked at the owner’s risk. We do not accept liability for vehicles parked in the Old Gaol car park, except where loss or damage is caused by our negligence. If your vehicle is left in the Old Gaol car park after your departure without our consent, we reserve the right to remove it at your expense.
Statutory liability: where you contract with us as a business, the terms implied by sections 3 to 5 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 are, to the fullest extent permitted by law, excluded from the contract.
Other liability: our total liability to you in respect of all other losses arising under or in connection with your booking with us, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty or otherwise, shall in no circumstances exceed the amount paid under your booking with us.
Your liability to us
Private guests: you agree to reimburse us in full, on a pound for pound basis, for any liability, costs, expenses, damages and losses (including those arising naturally from the breach, as well as those that may reasonably be foreseen to arise, as a probable result of the breach), loss of profit, loss of reputation and all interest, penalties and legal and other reasonable professional costs and expenses) suffered or incurred by us arising out of or in connection with your breach or negligent performance or non-performance of these Terms of Business.
Corporate guests: you shall indemnify us in full for any liability, costs, expenses, damages and losses (including any direct and consequential losses, loss of profit, loss of reputation and all interest, penalties and legal and other reasonable professional costs and expenses) suffered or incurred by us arising out of or in connection with your breach or negligent performance or non-performance of these Terms of Business.
Other important terms
No third party rights: the booking contract is between you and us and no other person shall have any rights to enforce any of its terms.
No assignment: you are not entitled to assign this booking to any third party, or use the apartments, facilities or services booked, for any persons other than those originally confirmed to us without our prior written consent.
Variations: no variation to your contract with us shall be effective unless it is agreed by both parties in writing.
Severability: if a court finds part of these Terms of Business invalid, the rest will continue in force.
No waiver of our rights: if we do not insist immediately that you do anything you are required to do under these terms, or if we delay in taking steps against you in respect of your breach of this contract, that will not mean that you do not have to do those things and it will not prevent us taking steps against you at a later date.
Applicable law: these Terms of Business are governed by English law and we and you agree that the English courts will have jurisdiction over any legal proceedings commenced in connection with your booking or stay with us. We reserve the right to bring legal proceedings against you for breach of your contract with us in your country of residence or any other relevant country.
Feedback and complaints
If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of our accommodation or services during your stay, please raise these with us as soon as practicable so that we may have the opportunity to resolve them.
For all other complaints, or if you remain dissatisfied at the end of your stay, please notify us as soon as possible using the contact details below:
- Telephone: 01235 521750
- Email: email@example.com
- Post: Old Gaol Serviced Apartments, C/O Manager’s Office, Bridge Street, Abingdon, Oxon OX14 3HE
We aim to acknowledge complaints within 5 working days of receipt with confirmation of who is dealing with your concerns. We aim to resolve the complaint with you within a further 14 working days.
If you need further information about these Terms of Business, our website or the Old Gaol, please contact us on the details below:
Tel: 01235 521750
In an emergency during your stay, please contact:
Tel: 07500 701501
Call-out charges may apply.